How To Increase Your Chances Of Getting A Promotion
Perhaps you belong to the last group. You work because you want to look forward to a promotion someday. Yet competition can be so tough being in the company for so long hardly counts anymore.
How do you improve your chances? Here are some tips:
1. Go the extra mile at the workplace. Be willing to do extra work, even if it is not really completely related to your job description. Most of all, do it without being told and getting the extra pay.
Why should you do so? Being in a higher position guarantees not only a higher salary but also more responsibilities. You want to make sure they are aware you are ready to take on more difficult challenges.
2. Enhance your skills. Do not just rely on the trainings provided by the company. Enroll in a masters or doctorate degree. Take a refresher course. Do something to further enhance your knowledge and skills. The more you improve yourself, the higher the chances you can easily grab your desired position. After all, companies do not have to spend more money just to train you.
3. Be kind to your colleagues. You do not want other people to rally against you or send out grievances to the management. Besides, your higher work is going to be stressful, and you cannot afford to have a tension-filled environment. Your colleagues can help you a lot too. They can directly or indirectly refer you to positions in the management.
4. Always think positive. You should not allow the stress of competition and even office gossip to deter you from your ambition. You also cannot afford to be irrational or rash with your decisions.
If you are finding it difficult to think positive, you can always employ the use of subliminal messages. These are also called affirmations. Subliminal messages work by bombarding your mind with positive thoughts. Now these positive thoughts, because they are repeated numerous times, become your new truths. Simply put, subliminal messages can change your mind-set.
But what types of subliminal messages you should use? Try the following:
I have the skills and confidence to get the job.
I get rid of the negative thoughts that are pulling me down.
I do not let stress and gossip affect me.
I believe that good things are waiting for me.
It is a hope-fulfilled day tomorrow.
5. Reveal your intent. If you want something, you have to be more open about it. Tell your manager that you are hoping to move up the ladder soon. This way, he can help you in different ways, such as providing you with proper training and coaching. If there is an open position, do not wait for it to be offered to you. Apply for it. Submit your most recent resume.